Aloo Matar or Indian style Potato and Green peas curry is an everyday comfort dish made with very basic spices and ingredients. Making it in instant pot makes it an even more easy and quick dish than it already is.
- 2 lb potatoes ( I used 8 medium size Yukon gold potatoes )
- 1 big onion chopped finely
- 1 big tomato chopped finely
- 1 cup green peas
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 4 cardamom whole
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 1 slit green chilli
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp coriander powder ( ground coriander )
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 3/4 cup light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- Cilantro for garnishing
Instant pot Method
- Start with chopping onion and tomato finely, slit the green chilli ( I always prefer slitting green chillies than cutting into small pieces as it is easy to discard them in the end for the sake of kids ), and dice the potatoes into 1 to 1.5-inch cubes. Place the potatoes in water until ready to use to avoid discolouration by oxidation.
- Turn on the Instant pot in saute mode and wait until it is hot. Add 2 tsp oil, when it is hot and add 2-inch cinnamon stick, 4 cardamom, 3 cloves, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, 1 sprig curry leaves and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder.
- Sauté for a minute and add onions and green chilli with 1/2 tsp salt.
- Saute for a couple of minutes and add 1 tsp ginger garlic paste and mix well.
- After a minute add 1 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp red chilli powder, 1/4 tsp garam masala powder and combine well.
- Deglaze the pot by adding 2 to 3 tbsp water if required and then add tomato pieces with a little salt. Cook covered (use a normal glass or steel lid which fits instant pot and not the instant pot lid )for 3 to 4 mins until tomatoes are little soft.
- Now add potato cubes, green peas, coconut milk, water, salt to taste ( start with 1.5 tsp and add more at the end if needed ) and close the instant pot lid. Seal the vent.
- Cancel sauté mode and set on manual mode for 4 mins on high pressure. Once the cooking process is done and the instant pot turns off, let the pressure release naturally for 5 mins and then do a quick release manually by turning the vent from seal to vent position.
- Once all the pressure is released and the pin drops, open the lid, check the taste for salt and spices and garnish with cilantro to serve. Serve with roti, naan, puri, dosa, jeera rice or pulao as suggested in the serving ideas above.
Follow the same procedure until step 7 but instead of cooking in the instant pot, cook it on a pan on stovetop. Once you add all the ingredients cook covered while stirring frequently on low to medium heat for around 10 to 15 mins or until potatoes are cooked thoroughly.
- Dice the potatoes into a minimum size of 1 to 1.5 inch cubes or else they will be mashed when cooked.
- Skip the green chilli and half the amount of coriander powder to reduce the spice level and to increase the spice level, increase the amount of coriander powder and if required red chili powder.
- Turn on the instant pot saute mode before vegetable chopping so you can save time. Chop the onions, chilli and tomato while the instant pot gets hot and dice the potatoes while the onions and tomatoes are cooking.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Instant pot & Stove top
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Aloo Matar Recipe, Instant pot potato curry, Indian style potato and green peas curry