Green moong dal khichdi or pulao is an simple, quick and delicious one pot meal which is nutritionally well balanced with carbohydrates, protein, fiber and vegetables.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup green moong dal soaked overnight
- 1.5 cup basmati rice soaked 20 mins
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 2 red chilli broken into 1 inch pieces
- 2 medium potatoes cubed
- 2 Carrots cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup Cilantro
- Bay leaf 1 big ( optional )
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 1 black cardamom
- 1 tsp cumin seeds or black jeera
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala powder
- Wash and soak moong dal overnight or at least 8 hours.
- Soak basmati rice for 20 mins. Soak it as the first step in the prep so it will be ready when you are done chopping and Sautéing.
- Turn on the manual mode on the instant pot. Add oil to the inner pot when the display says 'hot'.
- Add bay leaf, black cumin seeds ( or regular cumin seeds), black elaichi, cinnamon stick, cloves and broken red chillies and sauté for few seconds.
- Now add sliced onions and 1/2 teaspoon of salt ( to help onions cook faster ) and sauté for 2 to 3 mins.
- Add ginger garlic paste, mix well and sauté for a min. Then add coriander powder, cumin powder and red chilli powder and garam masala, mix well and sauté for a min. Add couple tablespoons water if required to deglaze the pot and make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom.
- Now add cubed potatoes and carrots( or any vegetables you prefer ) and mix well. Add little salt, around 1/2 teaspoon for the vegetables. Sauté for 2 to 3 mins.
- Add soaked whole moong dal ( whole green gram ) and soaked basmati rice, mix well. Sauté for a min to bring out the flavors. Add 2 1/4 cups water, 2 teaspoons salt and mix well.
- Cancel the sauté mode, close the lid of the instant pot, turn the vent knob to seal position, press manual and choose 6 mins and let it cook.
- Once the instant pot beeps and turns off, let the steam release naturally for 10 mins and then you can do a quick release by turning the knob to vent position. Open the lid and fluff the rice gently.
- Green moong dal khichdi/pilaf is ready. Enjoy it with plain yogurt or raita and sliced cucumbers on the side.
- Remove the instant pot steel insert from the instant pot base immediately to make sure lower layer of pulao doesn't get burnt because of the hot base.
- Do not skip soaking the moong dal.
- If you prefer, you can increase the amount of moong dal to 3/4 cup instead of 1/2 cup without increasing the water levels or changing the recipe. Just adjust the salt levels slightly.
- You can add any vegetables fresh or frozen that usually go with vegetable pulao like potatoes, carrots, peas, corn, cauliflower. Add around 2.5 cups to 3 cups of vegetables.
- It can be eaten just with raita without any other curry or entrée to go with it or if you prefer, any masala gravy curries go will with it.
- To increase the spice levels, increase the coriander powder and red chilli powder by 1/2 tsp each and garam masala by 1/4 tsp.
- To decrease the spice levels, skip the red chilli powder and red chillies.
- Category: Main course, Side dish
- Method: Instant pot/Pressure cooker
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: green moong dal khichdi recipe, Moong dal pulao, Moong dal Instant pot, green moong khichdi, pressure cooker mung beans