A perfect flavored rice recipe which satisfies all checkmarks for a quick and satisfying meal. Lovely blend of flavors of tomato coconut and mint dances in your mouth and tickles your taste buds and always leave you wanting a little bit more !!
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp ghee
1/2 tsp split urad dal
1/2 tsp chana dal
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
10 curry leaves
2 inch cinnamon stick
3 split cardamom
10 to 15 cashews
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
6 cups cooked white rice ( around 1.5 cups dry rice yields 6 cups cooked white rice, I used basmati rice )
1 big onion diced
2 big or 3 medium size tomatoes diced
2 split green chillies
1/3 cup packed mint leaves
1/3 cup dry coconut powder ( or fresh grated coconut)
Cilantro for garnish
Salt to taste
1 tbsp kitchen king masala ( if not available substitute with 1 tsp coriander powder + 1/2 more chilli powder + 1/2 cumin powder )
1/2 tsp Plain red chilli Powder( Indian)
1 tsp garam masala powder
- Heat a pan and add oil and ghee.
- Once they are hot, add the tempering ingredients and saute until they are slightly brown and sizzle.
- Now add diced onions and split green chillies along with 1/2 tsp salt.
- Saute onions until golden brown.
- Then add the Kitchen king masala, Red chilli powder, mix well and let it saute for 1 to 2 mins.
- Now add mint leaves and saute for a min.
- Add diced tomato pieces along with 1/2 tsp salt, mix well and saute for 2 to 3 mins.
- Cover and cook until tomatoes are completely cooked and oil is separating onto the sides.
- Now add coconut powder, garam masala powder mix well and cook for 2 to 3 mins.
- Add cooked white rice( make sure its not piping hot or else it will be mashed when you are mixing) and enough salt( add 1 1/2 tsp first and check ) and mix well carefully without mashing it. Reduce the heat and saute for couple mins.
- Check the taste for salt and spices, garnish with cilantro and serve hot with raita or plain yogurt.
- Stale rice works really well too with fried rice preparations. If using fresh cooked rice, make sure it is not too hot while adding to the pan and be careful not to mix rice too much or else it will be mashed up.
- To increase spice levels : Increase green chillies by 1 or 2 and if you want a little more increase 1/2 tsp red chilli powder.
- Reduce the spice levels : Skip the green chillies and add red chilli powder only if you need it after taste testing at the end.
- If you want to add protein to make it a well balanced meal, you can add shrimp or small chicken pieces after the tomato mixture is cooked and cook them well before adding the rice.
- Category: Lunch / Dinner
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: How to make Tomato Rice, Tomato Mint Rice recipe, Tomato Rice South Indian style